Monday, July 5, 2010

Getting Scoped

Its interesting that so many of us singers deal with acid reflux and the hoarseness it causes. After 2 1/2 years of being on acid reducing prescriptions and increasing doses only for that to stop working, to switching meds, I got fed up and called Vanderbilt Voice Clinic. What an awesome experience to get to see my vocal cords as I was singing. Now getting scoped of course isn't very fun, because I gagged a few times but it was totally worth it to see my own vocal folds, vibrate. To see the vocal folds seperate and see down the windpipe as I took a breath was amazing. You can be told this happens but you don't really get it till you see it first hand.

As for the acid reflux, I am being sent to a GI doctor who is going to do an endoscopy in a few weeks. Not excited about this but am hoping I will get more answers to this ongoing issue. I hope to not have to continue taking the amount of acid reducing meds that I take. Most of all, I hope to be able to have good vocal health and eliminate all hoarseness in my voice.

No comments: